- How do advertisements attract attention?
- Do young and old people have the same attitudes towards advertisements?
- Do you think advertisements are a good or bad influence on children?
- Do you think advertisements actually influence people to buy tilings? And How?
- What kind of art do you enjoy?
- What are the tradition art forms in your country?
- What makes a good painting?
- Do you think children should study art at school?
- How can children benefit from learning art?
- How has art changed in the last few decades in your country?
- Describe the general purpose of art. And explain why people enjoy it?
- Do you think that art is as important as academic subjects when it comes to educating children?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of art education?
- Why do you think some people enjoy looking at paintings and sculptures and others do not?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of being an artist?
- Do you think that some people are naturally better artists than others?
- What are the most popular types of children’s books in your country?
- What are the benefits of parents reading books to their children?
- Should parents always let children choose the books they read?
- How popular are electronic books in your country?
- What are the advantages of parents reading electronic books (compared to printed books)?
- Will electronic books ever completely replace printed books in the future?
- What kind of choices do people have to make in their everyday life?
- Why do some people choose to do the same things every day? Are there any disadvantages in this?
- Do you think that people today have more choices to make than in the past?
- What kinds of jobs do young people not want to do in your country?
- Who is best at advising young people about choosing a job: teachers or parents?
- Is money always the most important thing when choosing a job?
- Can clothing tell you much about a person?
- Why do some companies ask their staff to wear uniforms?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of having uniforms at
- When do people wear traditional clothing in your country?
- How have clothes fashions change in your country over the last few decades?
- What is the difference between clothes that young people and old people like to wear?
- Which communication skills are most important when taking part in meetings with colleagues?
- What are the possible effects of poor written communication skills at work?
- What do you think will be the future impact of technology on communication in the workplace?
- What creative activities did you like to do when you were young?
- Why do people like to copy others’ ideas these days?
- What’s the best way to cultivate children’s creativity?
- Do you think creativity can be learned?
- Why do some people find it hard to make decisions?
- How important is it to get advice from other people when making decisions?
- Why is it sometimes difficult to accept advice?
- What are some of the most important decisions young people have to make?
- Do you agree that parents should make important decisions for their children?
- Is it better to make a decision thinking about what you want or thinking about what other people want?
- Why is it good to discuss problems with other people?
- Do you think that it’s better to talk to friends and not family about problems? Why?
- Is it always a good idea to tell lots of people about our problems?
- Tell me about the types of food that people eat in your country.
- How are the eating habits now in your country different from eating habits in the past?
- How healthy is your country’s food?
- Why do you think different cultures have different table manners?
- How may eating habits change in the coming decades?
- What one aspect of a foreign tradition you like about their eating habits? Why?
- What makes a good student?
- What role should the teacher have in the classroom?
- Do you think computers will one day replace teachers in the classroom?
- How has teaching changed in your country in the last few decades?
- What is the difference between the way children learn and the way adults learn?
- How can a teacher make lessons for children more interesting?
- Is family important in your country?
- How has the size of families changed in the last few decades in your country?
- How do you think families will change in the future?
- How do you think families will change in the future?
- Who do you think should be responsible for the care of the elderly, the family or the government?
- Do you think that famous people are generally happier than ordinary people?
- What qualities does a person need to have in order to be famous?
- Is it easier or more difficult to achieve fame today than in your grandparents’ time?
- Describe the ways that famous people influence the public.
- Do you think more is expected from famous people than ordinary citizens?
- What types of people become famous in your country? Do you want to be famous?
- Why do you think festivals are important events in the working year?
- Would you agree that the original significance of festivals is often lost today? Is it good or bad, do you think?
- Do you think that new festivals will be introduced in the future? What kind?
- What role does the media play in festivals, do you think?
- Do you think it’s good or bad to watch festivals on TV? [Why?]
- How may globalization affect different festivals around the world?
- Do you think diet is important? What is a balanced diet?
- What is the typical diet of people in your country?
- Do many people eat in restaurants in your country?
- Why do some people enjoy eating out?
- What’s the difference between restaurant food and home-cooked food?
- Why do some young people dislike living with old people?
- What are the advantages of living with old people?
- What are the causes of the generation gap?
- What’s the difference between teenagers and children?
- Is it possible for women to join the army in your country?
- In your country are the responsibilities of a mother the same as the responsibilities of a father to their families?
- What are the responsibilities of a father/mother in a family?
- What do most people do to keep fit in your country?
- How important is it for people to do some regular physical exercise?
- Why so many people these days suffer from stress-related issues?
- Why do some people think that modern lifestyles are not healthy?
- Why do some people choose to lead unhealthy lives?
- Should individuals or governments be responsible for making people’s lifestyles healthy?
- What could be done to encourage people to live in a healthy way?
- Do you think people are less willing to help others these days compared to the past?
- Do people today trust others as much as they used to in the past?
- Let’s move on to the topic of educating children to help people. In your view, should children be taught to help others?
- How do people in your community help each other?
- What are some of the ways people can help others in the community?
- Why do you think some people like to help other people?
- Some people say that people help others in the community now more
- than they did in the past. Do you agree or disagree? Why?
- What types of services, such as libraries or health centers, are available to the people who live in your area? Do you think there are enough of them?
- Which groups of people generally need the most support in a community? Why?
- Who do you think should pay for the services that are available to the people in a community? Should it be the government or individual people?
- Why do you think people go on holiday?
- How important is it for families to go on holiday together?
- Why do some people go on holiday alone?
- What kind of holidays will be popular in the future?
- Is it better to take a holiday in your own country or in a foreign country? Why?
- What problems can people have on holiday in a foreign country?
- Why do some people buy lots of things for their homes?
- Do you think it is very expensive to make a home look nice?
- Why don’t some people care about how their home looks?
- In what ways is living in a flat/apartment better than living in a house?
- Do you think homes will look different in the future?
- Do you agree that the kinds of homes people prefer change as they get older?
- What are the typical choices people make at different stages of their lives?
- Should important choices be made by parents rather than by young adults?
- Why do some people like to discuss choices with other people?
- Why do some people find the internet addictive?
- What would the world be like without the internet?
- Do you think that the way people use the internet may change in the future?
- What are the ways that social media can be used for positive purposes?
- Why do some individuals post highly negative comments about other people on social media?
- Do you think that companies’ main form of advertising will be via social media in the future?
- What are some of the different reasons why people use the Internet?
- Some people say that different age groups have different tastes in Internet content. What do you think?
- What influences can (or, does) the Internet has on children/teenagers?
- Do you think parents should control what Internet sites their children visit on the Internet?
- Can leadership skills be taught?
- Do some people are born to be leaders?
- What should a leader do to remain popular?
- Why are elected politicians often so unpopular?
- What can people learn from mistakes?
- Can mistakes help people to be more successful?
- How can people avoid making mistakes?
- What’s the best way to gain experience in life?
- Do you agree that we learn best from our mistakes?
- Is money important to you?
- What is the relationship between money and power?
- Let’s move on to teaching children about money. How do you think parents can teach the value of money to their children?
- Do you think it is important to teach children money skills?
- For parents, what is important when bringing up their children?
- Do you think mothers and fathers have different roles to play in bringing up a child?
- Let’s move on to the education of children. Do you think hitting children is sometimes necessary for discipline?
- Do you think sweets are a good thing to reward children with?
- Which do you prefer? Having plans or having no plans?
- In general, do you think planning is important?
- Why do people make plans?
- Who do you think is more responsible for pollution, individual people or the government? Explain.
- Do you know about any anti-pollution programs in your community?
- What types of energy are popular in your native country?
- What are some ways energy is wasted?
- What kinds of products are mostly imported into your country?
- In your opinion, why do some people like to buy imported products?
- Let’s move on to local products. What are some famous local products in your country?
- Do you think a country should make everything it needs or import some things?
- When should people start saving for retirement?
- At what age should people retire from work?
- What problems can people face after retirement?
- How important are retirees to your country’s economy?
- Why do we have rules in society?
- Do you think it’s necessary to set up rules about overworking people?
- What are some examples of rules that exist in many families?
- What are some rules that exist in schools or workplaces in your country?
- What kinds of things do people in your country often buy from online shops?
- Why has online shopping become so popular in many countries?
- What are some possible disadvantages of buying things from online shops?
- Do you agree that the prices of all goods should be lower on internet shopping sites than in shops?
- Will large shopping malls continue to be popular, despite the growth of internet shopping?
- Do you think that some businesses (e.g. banks and travel agents) will only operate online in the future?
- What social network do people in your country usually use?
- What are some good points about social networking?
- What are some bad points about social networking?
- What type of information should you put on social networking sites?
- What social problems are there in your country?
- What about poverty? What can be done to alleviate poverty?
- Are there any charities in your country?
- Let’s move on to talk about the overpopulation problem. Why do so many people move to live in cities?
- Describe the advantages and disadvantages of modern technology.
- In what ways has technology changed your society?
- How has technology changed the way we communicate?
- How has technology changed the nature of long-distance relationships?
- What are the limitations of technology when it comes to interpersonal relationships?
- How could technology be considered a hindrance for us? Can we overcome it?
- What is the most common technology used by people in your country, and the second-most?
- Are there any other places that need technology?
- Does it possible to live without technology?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of technology?
Technology & Education
- What is the best age for children to start computer lessons?
- Do you think that schools should use more technology to help children learn?
- Do you agree or disagree that computers will replace teachers one day?
- How much has technology improved how we communicate with each other?
- Do you agree that there are still many more major technological innovations to be made?
- Could you suggest some reasons why some people are deciding to reduce their use of technology?
- What kinds of possessions are considered high-status to people in your country?
- Were different possessions thought of as valuable in the past?
- Why do you think people need to show their status in society?
- Do you think advertising influences what people buy?
- What kinds of places are more popular among tourists in your country?
- Why do people travel to different tourist spots?
- Is the number of tourists worldwide increasing? Why/Why not?
- How has the tourism sector in your country attracted more international tourists?
- Will your country and people benefit from more international tourists? How?
- Is there any negative influence that international tourists have on local people? Why is that so?
- How do most people travel long distances in your country?
- Have the types of transport people use changed much over the last few decades?
- What kind of improvement have there been in transport in your country in recent years?
- Do you think transport is likely to continue to improve in the future?
- Do you think most people should use public transports? Why/ why not?
- Why some countries impose higher taxes on car ownership? How is the scenario in your country?
- What are the most popular kinds of TV programs in your country? Why is this?
- Do you think there are too many game shows on TV nowadays? Why?
- Do you think TV is the main way for people to get the news in your country? What other ways are there?
- What types of products are advertised most often on TV?
- Do you think that people pay attention to adverts on TV? Why do you think that is?
- How important are regulations on TV advertising?
- What types of weather do people in your country dislike most? Why is that?
- What jobs can be affected by different weather conditions? Why?
Are there any important festivals in your country that celebrate a season or type of weather?
- How important do you think it is for everyone to check what the next day’s weather will be? Why?
- What is the best way to get accurate information about the weather?
How easy or difficult is it to predict the weather in your country? Why is that?
- Do you think job satisfaction is more important than salary when choosing a job?
- What skills do you think are needed to get a good job these days?
- Do you think women should be able to do all the same jobs that men do?
- How has technology changed the way we work?
- What is the difference between white-collar and blue-collar jobs?
- What jobs do you think are most valuable to society?
- Do you agree that many people nowadays are under pressure to work longer hours and take fewer holidays?
- What is the impact on society of people having a poor work-life balance?
- Could you recommend some effective strategies for governments and employers to ensure people have a good work-life balance?